INGREDIENTS: 1 large peeled onion, sliced into five thick slices
1 8-oz package button mushrooms
3 tablespoons butter separated
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil separated
Pinch of sugar
1/8 cup bourbon
Pinch of salt
Few grinds of pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound shaved steak
¼ pound sliced provolone cheese
Bulkie or Sub rolls
2. While onions are cooking, heat a large skillet over high heat with one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of oil. (Mushrooms will be cooked in two batches). Once butter mixture is hot, place half the mushrooms in and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip each slice and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat with the last of the oil and butter and second half of mushrooms. (You may not need all of the butter and oil for the second batch.)
3. When the second batch of mushrooms are cooked, add first batch in with second batch and pull pan from burner. Add in bourbon and slowly place back on flame. The mixture should flame up and then burn off the alcohol. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
4. At this point you can add cooked mushrooms in with the cooked onions and reuse the large skillet to cook the steak.
5. Heat large skillet over medium high heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add in steak and with two wooden spoons, pull steak apart and turn and cook for 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
6. Add onions and mushrooms to the steak, stir to combine and turn off heat. Place provolone slices over the steak mixture and cover pan to melt the cheese, about one minute.
7. Spread roasted garlic aioli onto bulkie roll. With a spatula slide a serving of the steak and cheese mixture onto each roll and enjoy. We served ours with Roasted French-Style Potatoes.Read full preparation method